Monday 28 January 2013

I remember now!



So, recently (and possibly because of what happened to THQ) I had a craving for some PC gaming. Then, because I am an incredibly lucky man, my wife bought me a new Gaming-Rig that arrived on Wednesday last week.

The system is good spec, certainly more than high enough to play any game I am interested in. The only problem was it had no Operating System installed (for my fellow console gamers, it didn’t have Windows).

“Easy!” Thought I, Naively.  “I will just install an old copy of XP and go from there.”

I eventually got it working on Saturday, around 6pm, after multiple reinstalls and finally upgrading to Windows 8.

This is how Vikings react to Compatability IssuesSource

This is the problem with PC gaming that I, in my console-based largesse, had largely forgotten. You constantly have to fight with a machine that has its own logic and pathways, as well as a myriad of software and drivers that are never quite as up to date as you might like.

The difficulty many people have getting their heads around Hardware and Software issues on their PC have certainly helped contribute to the console boom over the last decade and, having now been through a quite gruelling installation myself, I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

Of course, with the rumoured Steam Box generating buzz in both PC and Console gaming circles for its supposed ‘compartmentalised’ construction we may yet see the PC regain ground.

In the meantime, the good news is that I have a working Gaming PC so may be able to talk on topics outside my normally console-centric viewpoint.

Until next time friends, let us say Skål! and drink together.

No comments:

Post a Comment